Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Teeter-Totter of Insanity

What kind of mother was I going to be?

The kind who baked yummy dinners from the Campbell's Soup Dinner Cookbook.

The kind who made delicious treats on a regular basis so my children would rush home to gobble them up.

The kind who kept an immaculate house--within reason.

The kind who sweetly kissed her kids as they rushed out the door to catch the bus and then was at the door smiling sweetly at the end of their school day as they rushed home to eat the afore mentioned goodies.

The kind who let the kids have the whole neighborhood over every day after school.

What kind of mother am I?

The kind who has banned every preservative from my house...so throw out the Campbell's Soup Cookbook, it won't do me any good!

The kind who will occasionally make a treat with white sugar (we did make cookies last night...whole wheat cookies...) but usually all treats have alternative forms of sweetner (honey, agave nectar, stevia). And, I didn't stop with my sweetners...goats milk is in our fridge, and homemade goat yogurt, and homemade goat cheese...anybody wanna join us for a meal?

The kind whose house is free of mold in the toilets, but some days that's as good as it gets.

The kind who wishes her kids would just want to play with each other a little more, and want the neighborhood over a little less.

The kind (get ready for this...it's a doozy) who doesn't kiss her children sweetly as they rush out the door to catch the school bus. That's right folks. I don't kiss my children before they get on the bus. I don't even put them on the bus...nor do I drive them to school...nor do I walk them, or let them walk themselves, or ride their bikes. I keep them home...that's right...all day long...

What am I smoking? What did YOU put in my water? I NEVER wanted to homeschool my children. I NEVER even gave it a moment's thought. THAT is what OTHER mother's may do. THOSE women are NOT at all like me. I would NEVER do such a thing. I am simply NOT a "homeschool mom". And did I mention I am expecting? That's right...I am a high risk pregnancy and this is my fifth child, and the doctor's love me so much that they insist I come in on a weekly basis so they can get their dose of me.

Let's just say this is a complicated year. There are days when I wonder if there is ANY way possible for me to survive all the demands that I feel on my shoulders. There are days when I feel as if there is NO WAY in this world that I could POSSIBLY do a worse job educating my children than the schools have done. There are days when I feel as if there is NO WAY I can possibly be the mother my children need me to be. There are days I get so excited about all that we will learn, all the improvements we will make (especially with Remington's reading) that I wonder if I will EVER be able to go back to the public education system. And then, there are those days that I want to sit on the floor in the middle of my kitchen and cry. There are days when I KNOW this is what my children need right now and that there is a much wiser and more able power who will help me do and be what I need to do and become.

Teeter. Totter.

12 comments:

Jennie said...

Wow Lena! I thought I had a lot on my plate. Good Luck, I imagine home schooling would be very difficult. And baby #5!! That is exciting, but I will be praying for you still.

Mia said...

Congrats on baby #5!!! You are doing what is right for your family. You will have ups and downs and it will be crazy at times, but it will always be "right". Hang in there, because you are amazing. It is a blessing to get to be our kids biggest advocates, even when it is hard.

Andrea said...

How about you move to my subdivision, send your kids to the wonderful charter school with my kids, and let me help out while you're high-risking it? Then we'll build a teeter-totter, and you can just be sane. It's a plan!

3boys2girls said...

Teeter totters keep us all on our toes!! Congrats on #5 when are you do?

Stephanie Salmon said...

Congrats on the pregnancy Lena! You are amazing. One day the raising of your children will be over and you'll be able to enjoy your grandchildren. And your grandchildren will enjoy your whole wheat cookies. I promise. Just look forward to that! (But enjoy the now too...not too much to ask, right?)

LaNan said...

I think you're wonderful and very brave! Homeschooling is draining but can be very rewarding. Don't forget to take me time and don't look at it as something you're going to do forever. Just take it one day at a time. There is nothing wrong with homeschooling a year or 2 and then trying public school, charter whatever it may be. I homeschooled Dallin last semester while we were trying to figure things out. Teacher thought he needed meds, I disagreed. Ended up being an eye issue. (see my blog) Just started back in public school this week so we'll see how things go. Just know that there is not one perfect solution for every child. They each have different needs. Hang in there! Call me if you need moral support. :)

Sharlee said...

I hear you sister. I feel so inadequate so much of the time but when it's right it's right and you're right: The Lord will be your support.

The Kelly Variety said...

I am totally the kind of mom you first described.

Minus the delicious treats, immaculate house, kind kisses before school, neighborhood kids, and yummy dinners. . .that happens on occasion-depending on your perspective.

I know that good intentions pave a road somewhere. . .does that count? Anyway enough about me!

You'll be great! One of those "OTHER" mother's I can proudly say, "I know her, yah she is amazing, how does she do it?"

Your kids have the best recess spot in your back yard too! Hard to compare to that!!

Haley said...

yay for baby stum #5!! :) and Lena, your original plan sounds pretty good :) but may I just say that the way it's turned out sounds even better (maybe harder, but better)! you're doing what you feel and know is right for your sweet kids :) How lucky they are to have you as their mom!

Haley said...

love you lots sis!! and know you and the fam are in our prayers.

Cherie said...

So lots has changed since I talked to you last. I don't know how you do it all, but I think you're amazing. We'd love to see you next time your up (or we're down). Good luck with homeschooling and your pregnancy.

Angela said...

Wow! Homeschooling! I'm a little jealous. I've always wanted to do it but haven't and now the kids are doing well in their school, so that's where we are.

Congrats on baby number 5! When are you due? You may have heard... I'm prego with #5 too and we found out today that..... it's a girl! Yes that's right 5 Monson girls!