Sunday, February 28, 2010

THE MOST IMPORTANT POLL EVER TO BE ON MY BLOG...

Sadly, this MOST IMPORTANT poll will be done in a very un-high-tech fashion.

We are stuck when it comes to baby names. My number one choice has been strongly vetoed by the giver of the other half of the baby's genes. So, tonight I came up with Option #2, and he just can't decide which one he likes most, or least, not sure what is causing the big indecision on his part. We all know that I am the one doing all the work here, I'm the one awake every night with a large and uncomfortable body, I'm the one who threw up for months on end, and I'm the one who gets to go through child birth, so really, I get to choose. But, I am trying to be, or at least appear to be, diplomatic about this, so I suggested a poll. Please choose wisely. Our baby will have to live with this name for the rest of her life.

Choice #1: Shaylor Eve Stum. We would call her Shay most of the time. (Andrea, I realize this is pretty much your daughter's name, please forgive me for the distortion--I just really want to call her Shay, but Shay Stum, or Shay Eve Stum just doesn't work.) And Eve is after Ryan's Grandma, Eva Bell. She is our only remaining Grandma alive and we thought it would tickle her pink to have a great grandchild named after her.

Choice #2: Keva (pronounced Keeva) Lorraine Stum. Once again, Keva is just a derivative of Eva, I just thought it sounded more like it fit with the mix of our other kids' names, and Lorraine is after my maternal grandma, who passed away shortly after Indi was born. I have to admit that I really love this name because I have so many wonderful memories of my grandma. Part of me just wants to drop the K and make it Eva, but Eva Longoria spoils the name for me and I just can't get the bad taste out of my mouth. I just can't do that.

Shaylor or Keva?

And, for those of you who like torture: here is a picture of me three weeks ago. Ryan took one of me tonight, but it is so frightening I just can't bring myself to posting it on my blog. I have been asked at least 10 times this week if I am due any day. No, but thank you for insinuating that I look like a large beached whale with a stomach so bloated that it is about to explode! (sereiously, double the size of my stomach and that's how I look!)



Thank you Indi for blocking the view of my rear end which is equal in size to my tummy in the opposite direction. I look much thinner when you can see only one protruding appendage. (Does appendage relate only arms and legs, fingers and toes? or can tummies and bums fit into this category as well?)

Don't forget to vote!

25 comments:

Cristi said...

Okay - first of all, you are SOOO cute!!!

Secondly - what about just Eve? I LOVE that name. If we didn't have a niece named Ava, I'd name a daughter Eve.

Good luck!

The Kelly Variety said...

What about Lekenally, I thought we decided long before Ryan was in the picture that was a good name. Kelenaly works too! If you must be stubborn about the whole thing, I really like Keva, It is my next vote.

starstruck_texan said...

So what about Shayla...and if not I guess I vote for Keeva.

Mia said...

Lena you are adorable! And I vote for the name that you love and that speaks to your heart.

EmJay said...

Lol. You are so cute, lena. I like Shay(lor). Goodluck!

kara jayne said...

i was with a good family friend last night named falynn (think fal-in) and i thought of you. i don't know why but i thought you might like the name. i've always loved it. anywhoo...i like shay. keva is cute and i will love it if you choose it. i just keep thinking of keva juice.

Sawdust Girl said...

Lena, you are adorable! I like both names so you and your hubby are going to have to choose. No help here. Good luck!

Emily said...

I knew a Shayla and I always loved that name - was going to use it if we had a girl :) Keva actually reminds me of the stair/bleachers that kids sit on in school - they call them Kevas although I have no idea how they are spelled. Just food for thought - I know all things should be considered when choosing a name! Good luck! & you look great :)

Andrea said...

If you are at all related to me, bums most certainly ARE appendages. Also, isn't that the REASON we have kids...to block our bodies from on-lookers and picture-takers? Cause that's why I had kids. Is that not a good enough reason to bring souls into this world?

I am freaky about names, and I try not to comment on them because of my opinions. I will love her no matter what you name her - and I will love the name as soon as I see it attached to a baby. That said, here are my opinions: Do you remember Xela from Children's quoir? That's who any derivative of Shay reminds me. She was a cute girl. How 'bout Shayn (it's Shay and Lorraine - get it?),or Shaynlee (Shay and Eve...sort of...)? Or, if you're just going to call her Shay, just name her Shay. I don't think it sounds weird (you don't have to be as careful with girl names because of the whole married name bit...not to mention girls usually don't tease other girls about their names). But Shaylor IS cute (feel free to take any name you please - they're on the house). So is Keva.


Did that help? :)

Good luck! I think naming is the worst part of baby-making. Although, my husband lets me have carte blanc, so my complaint is that he has no opinion and is no help (in that department).

Andrea said...

Holy moly, that was a long comment. Sorry. Names just get me going.

Also, I thought the comment about Falynn was funny, cause Kimi has a baby girl named Fallin. That's another obstacle: having such a large family where everyone uses every name you've ever heard of.

Good luck! I can't wait to hear what you decide!

What about Deva? Ha.

dianeb said...

what about eve loraine??? i like Keeva too .... (this is jessica btw) Love you lots and lots! cant wait to see you. you look too cute lena. miss you tons!
♥jess

evi said...

I can't believe my German and English name is in your name suggestions!! :-) I'd go for Shayla Eve Stum (#1)

And by the way: Have I ever mentioned that I would love to name my daughter after you! However, I'd have to chose the German equivalent in order to get the same pronounciation, i.e Lina. I hope I'll get a chance one day to do so!! :-)

Love you!

Ben said...

Probably if I were to choose I would say Shayla.

Kim said...

Lena you are hysterical. I am totally laughing. Firstly, you look fabulous! Secondly, I don't know if you can consider a bum an appendage but either way, you do still look so skinny with a baby bump. And thirdly, you know I am never afraid to voice my opinion about your baby names- ha! ok, I actually prefer Keva just because it is so girly, cute, and unique. I have a few cousins named Shay____, though I do like the name Saylor if you like the lor ending. What about Evie? ;-) Really whatever name you name her will be absolutely perfect- just as your other 3 have been... despite what I or anyone else says!

Andrea said...

I'm back. I have been mulling this one over (I told you: DON'T GET ME STARTED ON NAMES!), and I like Keva. Shaylor just sounds like the Sean Connery pronunciation of Saylor. But, again, either way, you have my support. :)

I'm sure I'll be back. I just can't help myself. It would really save me some typing if you lived next door, you know.

p.s. In that picture of you, is that criss-cross thing on your chest that mystery garment from one of your last posts - the one that looked like some kind of supportive undergarment? Just kidding.

Kim said...

I like Keva. I'm not choosing it because of Grandma either. It's just more unique! Good luck with the decision, and you look adorable! Glad it's you and not me!

Parley and Anna said...

I still vote for Shaylor! Although, it appears from the comments that you may have people confusing it w/ Shayla. ? Maybe.
However, Keva is cute. I think I just fell in love w/ Shaylor the moment you told me that one.

Either way, she'll be perfect and we'll love her. Even if you name her something really crazy!

p.s. thanks for posting a pic of you! You look adorable!

Ben said...

Alraght so here is the deal i'm not a big fan of Shaylor but I love Shayla so probably Shayla not Shaylor.

Ben said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ben said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angela said...

I can't say! They are both great names! I do like Shaylor better than Shayla. I love the name Eve. I've never heard of Keva, so it has that "unique" appeal, and it's also cute, girly and almost mystical sounding. I would be tempted to pronounce it with a short e sound though. Lorainne sounds like it's dear to your heart... so that also gets a point. Hmmmm.... What about Eva Shay Stum? Then you could call her "Eva Shay". Really, I have no idea who "Eva L" is anyway. But it the end I vote for your favorite... Shaylor Eve.

Peterson Family said...

#1 is a great choice!! :)

Cherie said...

Opinions Opionions. Everyone's got one. We had a lot of grief over Bailey. Apparently boys and dogs also share the name, but I've never known any. It turns out even with a poll you will ultimately have to decide. But since you asked, I Like Shay, although really whatever you choose will be adorable. BTW we've been converting video tapes to DVD, and I just did all our Ricks footage from the track summer terms. So many memories came flooding back. Oh those were the days. We need a reunion dangit!

Kellie said...

I vote for Eve. I know that is not an official choice...but that is what I like. :)

Alysha said...

I vote for Keva, but I like Shaylor too. And you are adorable.